Squash, When to Stop

I commenced playing squash in the year 1970, then 21.

In 1985, Col Sundar Lalawani was my squash partner in Kalu Chak, a hamlet on the outskirts of the Jammu. He was a tough competitor in the squash court. Abruptly he stopped coming for squash. It was appropriate, that we call on Lalwanis, and we did.

It so transpired that Mrs Lalwani, happened to have read an article by a doctor, who advised, that squash should not be played beyond 35, by some other accounts after 40. Well, that was rather unpalatable to me and made me uncomfortable, for it has been squash, which I had been able to play consistently.

Here, I was beneficiary of the un-utilized squash racquet of Col Lalwani

It was a foregone conclusion that well defined difference of opinion and animated discussion was on cards. I have a knack of survival. Now 60 and still playing, any time I am confronted with wisdom on "when to stop playing squash" I get away by stating, that I am a limited player, and that have no issues in walking out of the squash court, when tired and when the body resists. This argument has always been disarmingly effective to close the subject and move on.

Squash has been a passion (or was it weakness) with me. 

It is only a matter of experience, that as one continues the game, continuously, the benefits of maintaining fitness and progressive gathering of skill, enables you to go on.

Of course, it can become a habit

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Even this can happen!

A Matter of Seconds

08 Sep 2009