2nd May 08, the Day that Mattered to rahul

2TH MAY 2008- THE DAY THAT MATTERED
1. Rahul had been playing considerably consistently in 2007 and 2008 IGU national circuits for Amateurs. He has had a No of top ten finishes.
2. Jaypee Greens Greater Noida happened from 29 Apr to 2 May 2008. This is a challenging longest course at 7347 m, undulating, wow and picturesque, challenging in terms of well kempt 88 bunkers, and of course, known for its 14 lakes and water bodies, the greatest challenge on any Golf Course.
3. Winning at IGU national amateur circuit at Jaypee Greens, Greater Noida would certainly be valued.
4. Gagan went in with substantial lead on the first day, and maintained the same till the third day. Rahul on 30 Apr and Karan Vasudeva on 01 May created waves by playing to under 5 on these days.
5. After the play on 01 May 08, Rahul was breathing down Gagan’s back, as such, there was hope. Nevertheless, by then, the importance of the day had really not sunk in.
6. As a father, I would get daily input about his performance and score. Never have I managed to accompany my son, in one such tournament. Now that this one was close from home, I toyed with idea of seeing him through on this day. Watching him win would be my prize.
7. As the boy dressed up for the day, I asked him, whether I should be accompanying him. The first reaction was, why not. As I was dressing up, he walks out, and deliberates, “Papa, today, I am giving a shot for winning the game, and I do not really know, how I would react in your presence”. I decided, not to watch him play at the course.
8. While we had breakfast together, I gave my usual fatherly advice, to concentrate, and keep the objective in mind perpetually. I also told him to watch out for Karan Vasudeva, who played to under 5, a day before.
9. His reaction to this warning was astounding. He said, “so what, I played to under 5, a day before”. The tone and tenor of the boy, assured me of his confidence and rock solid will to win. Some where along, I saw the fearlessness in him, and assured me of a winning performance that day. Of course, there was no more discourse on the subject between us. Nevertheless, in my last fatherly encouragement, there was something thoughtfully motivating I wanted to say, and thereafter, leave him to himself.
10. My SMS stated, “There is only, one stroke between you and the leader, all the best” or words to the effect.
11. Rest is history; contents of the assorted news clippings on the win are a great revelation on the manner in which Rahul won. They say “the manner in which a sportsperson wins, shows part of his / her character and the manner in which he loses, shows all of it” Rahul showed all of it on his win.
Pradeep Bajaj

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Even this can happen!

A Matter of Seconds

08 Sep 2009