Even this can happen!

The Episode

1. I joined Premiershield in Apr 2002. In July 2006, I was afflicted with fasciitis, and operated four times in a miracle operation to save my.
2. Pawan, my MD was kind, and in Aug 06, brought me in as GM HR. During the initial meeting, he told me that I should be prepared to remain in this job for the rest of my stay with him. My reporting was to SVP, since I was responsible at the Corporate, for all the verticals and internal depts.
3. In Aug 07, just a year after, he changed the management. In that Sanjay was side stepped to be VP (Strategic Business Development), and Brig HS Sandhu, who joined us two years back as COO, Cash in Transit, was moved up as COO, of the three verticals, Guarding, Cash in Transit and Facilities. I was the first to go up to him and congratulate him for the same.
4. New guy that he was, he commenced his job without getting to know the ground realities. It was obvious when ever he would find some thing to observe, he perceived the some thing was wrong, and did not have perception enough to understand that there were others before him. It is foregone conclusions that, as most of the personnel that I know, take over an organisation, the first pitfall that they jump to be to feel, and even state that the previous guy did not do any thing, and the entire problems in the organisation currently has is the doing of the previous Head. Employees’ behavioural pattern facilitates and adds to this feeling. They, instead of briefing him of the background, and the good intent and work of the previous incumbent, feel it more convenient to tell him he is correct, and generally agree. It generally discomforts the new incumbent to be told that his thought process may be lopsided, and things were not all that sad. All in all it addresses the current situation and subsides the dust for short term. Is this wise?
5. I have been different. Some thing in me provokes me to bring out the truth. I have over last 58 years have experienced the discomfort of telling the truth many a times, nevertheless failed to see the wisdom in agreeing with the incorrect, and not bringing out the truth.
6. With my prolonged experience and perception in the company, and equal compassion for all, I have more or less gone on to bring out the truth/ facts, seeming to disagree with the new incumbent. Further it is sad to see people changing their texture with change in management, never mind what is ethical. It benefits them as long as they are with the organisation. I told him the picture of Jaipur, Baddi, Mandi GG and Ludhiana, as he thought that he was pioneering into some thing unventured so far. I guess what snapped him was my reply “you are telling me?” when during my presentation Preparation of Salaries’ I was interrupted.
7. Nevertheless, what I did little unethical was respond to him as if I was reporting to him. I thought a week emotional person like him would fel better that way.
8. I May 07, I was joined by Shveta, HR Exec. In Jul 07, she was seen having meal at Narulas with the then COO Cash in Transit, and his Secretary.
9. In Aug itself, Sandhu started propagating that there was no effort from GM HR to complete the recruitments. This could be from an input from Shveta. It was foregone conclusion that he had commenced calling HR Exec directly, and I did not react. In Sep 07, there was this mail, to state that HR Exec shall report directly to him for all recruitments. Very well, I did not react even then.
10. Surely he must have felt the ground prior to that and my lack of reaction assured him that he can proceed ahead. Surely, such an important move in the HR Dept of the organisation, the GM HR should certainly have been taken in confidence. Should he have?
11. In Oct 07, an interview was carried out without my presence, and a person earlier GM HR in his erstwhile org, was employed as Sr Mgr Personnel. It raised my heckles. I asked Sandhu, why, and was I to be sidestepped? He stated, that he did not know and that the SVP would know. SVP also showed as if he had no idea. Therafter I walked into Pawan’s office and without reminding him of his starting sentiment sought his reaction to this. As expected, he stated, “Pradeep, you know, I have stopped interfering in the internal affairs of the Company”. So far so good. Glibly I thought, well nothing had happened, and went on to seek space for the new member of the team. As part of the faculty for Induction Training, brought out very naively all that I could to make the new incumbent comfortable when he joined. Sudhir asked me along the classes that I took, where is the material for this lesson. Where is the presentation? Can I get the same? Naively again, I told him that it was in my computer, and we could take out the print out any time, and he could have the same from me. To the extent I told him that I would send him the attachment for the same.
12. During the training the Even as I did all that, neither Sandhu, nor SVP, told me that I was on the wrong track, and that the person had come to replace you, and he shall be occupying my chair, and later my designation.
13. Wonder whether there are many top managements that are so scared morally, as to behave in such a cowardly manner? Are there are other company’s managements, who could be so unfair and unethical to their employees, the internal customers?
14. Was I right is being nice to the person, who was trying to cut my very roots? Was I stupid to be doing a good turn to the person who has had all along known that he was going to replace me. Most opinions would state I was stupid and had been taken for a ride. Some thing tells me that over long period, I shall realise that I had done what I should have, and as such have no regrets.

Pradeep Bajaj, Steppenwolf

Comments

Abinder said…
The god always have a better plan in store. Change is only contant.
Sir, Have you read the book "who moved my chease".

Regards

Abinder

Popular posts from this blog

A Matter of Seconds

08 Sep 2009